Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Thank you, Killer


I am deeply saddened by the news this morning that the face of the Twins franchise and Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew passed away this morning at the age of 74. Killebrew had been battling esophageal cancer for the past 6 months.

Unfortunately, I never got to see #3 play in person, as he retired before I was even born. But I would have loved to have had an opportunity to watch him mash mammoth home runs into the bleachers at old Met Stadium.

I may not have had to chance to watch him play, but I did get the privilege to meet him a couple of times briefly. By my accounts, everything that I had heard about him seemed to be true. He was kind, modest, gentle... and he never turned down an autograph or photo request.

Someone might ask me, since I didn't know him, why am I so sad about his passing? Well the answer to that is because to me, Killer represents an entire generation of baseball. He represents what true sportsmanship is about. He represents what it means to be a family man, a business man, and just overall a great human being. This world could use a lot more people like him, and not just baseball players or professional athletes.

He will be missed by many, including me. Perhaps I can learn a thing or two from him. I may never be able to swing a baseball bat like he could, but maybe I can try to be half the caring, humble human being he was.

Thanks you, Killer, for everything you gave us. May you finally rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment